2019 National Catholic High School Survey Results
Below are the results of the 2019 Advancement Partners Catholic High School Survey. I invite you to review the results and compare where your school is relative to the respondents. We were
pleased with the response, 6% (75 Catholic high schools) of the schools invited (1,200) submitted
answers and many included anecdotal information as well.
As you review the results, you will notice some obvious consistencies – the need for increased financial aid, increased faculty compensation, enrollment concerns, and renovation/construction of facilities.
Clearly, most of our Catholic high schools are facing the same challenges and funding is at the root of it all. Enhanced marketing efforts to increase enrollment, more assertive advancement initiatives to increase funding for capital priorities and the operating budget all require more funding.
Advancement Partners specializes in development consulting for Catholic secondary education – it is our singular focus. Over the past twenty-four years, we have worked with over 250 Catholic high schools nationwide to help them increase their fundraising results. We have an outstanding record of success, our process is highly effective and our services are affordable. Please contact us if we can be of assistance in reaching your philanthropic potential.
1. What is your school’s enrollment?
|Less than 300||17||22.7%|
2. Which best describes your leadership structure?
|President and Principal||56||74.7%|
3. What are the three biggest challenges facing your school?
|A struggling Annual Fund||21||9.3%|
|Increased need for student financial aid/endowment||63||27.8%|
|Increased faculty compensation/endowment||33||14.5%|
|Inadequate advancement staffing||18||7.9%|
|Lack of planning||9||4%|
4. Which of the following initiatives is your highest advancement priority?
|Capital Campaign/Major Gifts||33||44%|
5. When was your school’s most recent capital campaign?
|Within the last two years||30||40.5%|
|Three to four years ago||7||9.5%|
|Five to six years ago||10||13.5%|
|More than six years ago||25||33.8%|
|Never had a capital campaign||2||2.7%|
6. How much did your school’s most recent capital campaign raise?
|Less than $1million||11||14.7%|
|$1 million - $3 million||25||33.3%|
|$4 million - $6 million||21||28%|
|$7 million - $10 million||7||9.3%|
|More than $10 million||9||12%|
7. How much does your Annual Fund raise (just the annual fund)?
|Less than $100,000||17||22.7%|
|Between $100,000 and $250,000||18||24%|
|Between $250,000 and $500,000||20||26.7%|
|Between $500,000 and $1.0 million||11||14.7%|
|More than $1.0 million||9||12%|
8. What percentage of your alumni/ae give to your annual fund?
|more than 20%||4||5.3%|
9. How much does your advancement office raise in total from all sources on a yearly basis?
|Less than $100,000||4||5.3%|
|$100,000 - $250,000||7||9.3%|
|$250,000 - $500,000||14||18.7%|
|$750,000 - $1.0 mil.||11||14.7%|
|More than $1.0 mil.||26||34.7%|
10. How large is your school's total endowment?
|Less than $100,000||4||5.3%|
|$100,000 - $500,000||6||8%|
|$500,000 - $1,000,000||7||9.3%|
|$1,000,000 - $5,000,000||29||38.7%|
|$5,000,000 - $10,000,000||14||18.7%|
|$10,000,000 - $20,000,000||9||12%|
11. Which phrase best describes your school with respect to a capital campaign?
|We are currently in a campaign (preparation, solicitation and/or pledge redemption).||31||41.3%|
|We anticipate moving into campaign preparation in the next 12 months.||14||18.7%|
|We anticipate moving into campaign preparation in a year or two.||13||17.3%|
|We have no plans to move into a campaign.||17||22.7%|
12. At your school, who makes decisions on campaign or major funding priorities?
|the Advancement/Development Committee||2||2.7%|
|the President/Head of School||37||49.3%|
|the Advancement/Development Director||3||4%|
13. Do you have a strategic plan in place for your school?
|We're in the process of creating or refreshing a strategic plan||20||26.7%|
14. Which phrase best describes the current state of your school today?
|Healthy, with a full/near full enrollment, excellent community reputation, solid financial health, strong donor base||15||20%|
|Mostly Healthy, facing some enrollment concerns, otherwise strong reputation and financial health||53||70.7%|
|Struggling, facing strong enrollment concerns, our diocese/governing body has considered merging or closing us||7||9.3%|